In preparation for the garden, Josh bought me a pressure canner and a food dehydrator.
I’ve been going out of my mind with excitement over the new cooking things I get to try. I’ve found the most glorious of canning blogs and she posts things about other methods of food preservation every once in a while. Today, I am dehydrating watermelon, because, WHY NOT?
Say hello to the pretty dehydrator!
Holy crap! You grew up so fast!
Yeah, I’m showing off its size. It also has two mesh trays and two fruit leather trays. Hello, watermelon. Are you ready to be dehydrated?
So start by cutting the rind off. I prefer doing this before I cut the watermelon into pieces because I’m not an idiot who likes to make more work for herself. Cut off both ends and then just slice down the sides, following the curve of the melon. I cut it in half and then quartered the halves, slicing the quarters about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
Then I filled the trays, and saved a quarter of the melon for Josh, because he was not willing to allow me to dry his watermelon if he didn’t get any fresh. I bargain with food. Set it for 135 degrees and let it go.
I’ll post pictures when it’s done.
The other project I worked on today is learning how to decorate using buttercream. I work in the pastry department of a really wonderful resort and I want to be of use decorating. So, I went to Michael’s and bought a piping kit. It was a fantastic deal with coupons and had all sorts of things I needed, and a few I didn’t. I made buttercream this morning and started building with the cakes I had in the freezer.
I didn’t take pictures of the process, but I learned how to make shells, ropes, roses, rosebuds, leaves and c-swirls. This is my first rose!
A few times I dropped my roses, or went to place them and they said “nope” and landed on their sides. That is why the top of the tiny cake looks the way it does.
If you look carefully, you can see the two NOPE roses laying on their sides, and the champion rose is on top.
Ooooh, pretty. Okay, on to my square cake. Here you see the shells on the outside, ropes on the inside and the c-swirls for the flower spray.
After that, I just placed some roses and then made a few buds with leaves.
By the way, neither of my cakes are entirely smooth. That is for a few reasons. One is that I didn’t have the best paper towel for the purpose. Two is that I messed up that center bit on top of the cake and said “fuck it, this is for practice purposes.” Three is that I really didn’t care that much. It was about the piping, not the smoothing.
So there you have it. My first attempt at decorating a cake.
Apparently, I’m pretty good at this.